The 18th District had its beginning in 1920 as the 2nd District
chartered in LA County. The LACC records did not differentiate Postsby
Districts from 1920 to 1926. There were 57 Posts in LA County in 1926.
During the 1926-1927 year the 18th District had 16 posts: Abraham
Lincoln 241, Canyon City 180, Chas. P. Rowe 30, Frank J. Gard 153, El
Monte 261, Glen Dyer (Arcadia) 247, Howard T. Douglas 207, John Howard
Strain (Alhambra) 139, Keith Powell 78, Lamanda Park (East Pasadena)
280, La Puente 75, Monrovia 44, Pasadena 13, Sierra Madre 297, South
Pasadena 140 and Joseph L. Kauffman 279.
There was steady growth through 1949-1950 when a peak of 37 posts was
reached. This level (36-37) was maintained through 1972-1973. Since
then a gradual decline occurred to our current level of 22 Posts.
Following is an abbreviated list of notable events that took place
during the first 66 years:
1932-1933 - First Dept. of CA Convention held in the District
1934-1935 - The district's Disaster and Relief Committee organized
many Legion members to assist local authorities during the heavy
flooding that hit the area. As many as 200 Legionnaires were
deputized to patrol the area. Others were used to evacuate
residents. Food, clothing and medical supplies were collected and
1941-1942 - The U.S. entrance into the war saw the district take an
active part. The district provided space in post clubhouses for
first aid courses, air raid warden stations and collection stations
for scrap metal, paper and fats. The clubs were also focal points
for local war bond drives.
1951-1952 - Merle C. North (139) was the first W.W.II veteran to
serve as District Commander.
1952-1953 - Lewis K. Gough (13) was the first member of the district
to serve as National Commander.
1953-1954 - The 6th Area was created. The district moved from the
4th to the 6th Area.
1954-1955 - The "Elegant Saints Drum and Bugle Corps" was formed.
1961-1962 - A new youth conservation program was approved, called
the 18th District American Legion Junior Forestry and Conservation
Conference. It was held with the cooperation of the US Forestry
Service and the L.A. County Fire Dept. and Fire Warden. Held in May
of '62 with 50 boys housed at Chilao Flats in the Angeles National
Forest. (This district program eventually became the Department's
Youth Environmental Conference which continues to be a major Dept of
CA program today)
1963-1964 - The 18th District Installation Team was formed.
1967-1968 - "Mighty Mite" Walter Martinez was District Commander
when the Elegant 18th Players presented the play: "A Womanless
Wedding" (you have to see the pictures to really appreciate this
1970-1971 - The National Legion Baseball Championship was won by
West Covina Post 790's team.
1971-1972 - First Annual "Day At The Races" took place at Santa
1978-1979 - The District Past Commanders Ritual Team was formed.
1979-1980 - The penguin was voted to be the official emblem of the
1980-1981 - Second Dept. of CA Convention held in the 18th District
1985-1986 - Selected and organized this term was the 66-year history
book committee. District 18 is believed to be the first district in
California to develop a book of this sort and it could well be a
first among districts around the nation.
1986-1987 - District Commander Felix Nieves starts the next 66
Webmaster's Note: Anyone with significant additions to this history
after 1986, please contact me for inclusion after it is reviewed by
the District Executive Board.